The United Nations said it is reducing its international staff numbers in Gaza by about a third after Israeli strikes killed hundreds of civilians, including UN personnel.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told a regular news briefing the move was taken for security and operational reasons and would involve the withdrawal of about 30 of the 100 or so international staff currently in Gaza.
"What we're doing is reducing the number of international staff members by about one third this week, maybe a bit more likely to come. It's a temporary measure. We hope to have people return to Gaza as soon as practicable," he said.
He stressed that the UN was not leaving Gaza.
"The Secretary-General has taken the difficult decision... even as humanitarian needs soar and our concern over the protection of civilians intensifies," he said. "The organisation remains committed to continuing to provide aid that civilians depend on for their survival and protection."
Dujarric said that based on information currently available, strikes that hit a UN compound in Deir Al Balah on March 19, killing a Bulgarian UN worker and leaving six others - from France, Moldova, North Macedonia, the Palestine territories and the United Kingdom – with severe injuries, came from an Israeli tank.
"The location of this UN compound was well known to the parties to the conflict," he said, noting that UN Secretary-General Antonio Gutteres had demanded "a full, thorough and independent investigation".
Gaza's health ministry attributed the strike to Israel, but Israel denied this, saying it hit a Hamas site where it detected preparations for firing into Israeli territory.
Asked if the UN believed the compound had been deliberated targetted, Dujarric said: "I think that's one of the reasons we need to have a pretty clear and transparent investigation. The point is that the Israelis knew exactly where this UN facility was, and it was hit by a shell from one of their tanks."

Several dead after UK police car crash, police say
At least 13 Tunisians missing after migrant boat sinks off Tunisia, group says
TikTok agrees to $400 million US children's privacy settlement
One killed, three injured in sword attack at Swedish high school
Turkey to seek Interpol notice for Netanyahu in Gaza flotilla case
Russian strike on shopping centre in Ukraine kills 16
Pakistan ex-PM Khan medically fit, taken back to prison, minister says
Ebola spreading exponentially in Congo as death toll tops 2,500, UN says
