More than 100 killed and wounded in Afghanistan mosque blast

AFP

A bomb tore through a mosque in Afghanistan's northeastern Kunduz province on Friday, killing and wounding more than 100 people, a UN agency said.

"Initial information indicates more than 100 people killed and injured in a suicide blast inside the mosque," the United Nations' mission to Afghanistan said in a tweet.

No group immediately claimed responsibility. The blast followed several attacks, including one at a mosque in Kabul, in recent weeks, some of which have been claimed by the IS terror group. 

One Taliban official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said at least 28 people had been killed and dozens more wounded in Friday's blast.

The attacks have underscored security challenges for the Taliban, which took over the country in August and have since carried out operations against the IS cells in Kabul.

"This afternoon, an explosion took place in a mosque ... as a result of which a number of our compatriots were martyred and wounded," Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said on Twitter. 

More from International news

Latest Blogs