Four people have been killed in protests against fuel price hikes prompted by the Iran war in several Kenyan towns on Monday, its interior minister said, after a nationwide public transport strike stranded commuters.
The Transport Sector Alliance said on Sunday that vehicles affiliated with its member associations would stop operating from midnight in protest, while police said they would act to tackle any disruptions.
"We lost four Kenyans in today's violence, which also saw more than 30 people injured," Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen told a televised press conference.
Kenya's Energy and Petroleum Regulatory Authority last week raised retail fuel prices by as much as 23.5 per cent - after hiking them by 24.2 per cent last month - as the conflict in the Middle East squeezed global oil and gas supplies.
Earlier on Monday, Finance Minister John Mbadi had said the current prices were already subsidised.
A meeting of the transport and energy ministers with public transport operators late on Monday to discuss a solution yielded little breakthrough, with the association accepting a proposal from the government that it would bridge the disparity between diesel and kerosene prices to prevent adulteration.
However, they disagreed on the extent to which the prices could be reduced, with the associations asking for 46 shillings per litre.
"We have not agreed on anything... What we are urging the president is that he must do something because the strike will continue. The strike is still on," Albert Karakacha, chairman of the public service vehicles owners' association, told a news conference.

Trump says no rush for Iran deal, US blockade stays
Iran says ship traffic at Strait of Hormuz will return to pre-war level in 30 days
Netanyahu tells Trump Israel will remain free to act against threats
Turkish riot police enter opposition headquarters to evict ousted leadership
At least 24 killed after powerful bomb explodes in Pakistan's Quetta
Russia hits Ukraine with Oreshnik missile in one of war's biggest attacks on Kyiv
At least one dead in Philippine building collapse, 21 people missing
China lowers death toll in Shanxi coal mine disaster to 82
